CONGRATULATIONS TO 2020 CITIZEN OF THE YEAR, JOE STAPLETON
Stapleton surprised at a special announcement Board Meeting
NEWPORT BEACH, CA (August 24, 2020)—Congratulations to Joe Stapleton for being named the 2020 Citizen of the Year by the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce. Joe received the news in a surprise announcement while he was attending a Chamber Board Zoom meeting, ostensibly to give an update on his work with the Newport Beach Foundation. After concluding his presentation, Chamber President and CEO, Steven Rosansky, informed Joe that he was this year’s recipient of the prestigious honor. The meeting was also attended by a number of past Citizen of the Year recipients and the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce Board of Directors who were there to celebrate him winning this great award.
“ It is rare that I am without words, but this means the world to me.,” commented Stapleton on the award. “None of us do the work we do because of recognition, we do it because of our love for Newport Beach. I understand the commitment and responsibility that come with this honor, there are so many others who are well deserving of this recognition. The list of those before us, represents individuals who have dedicated their lives to our great City. It will continue to be my goal to inspire the next generation of community leaders. I am truly blessed to call Newport Beach my home.”
In making the presentation, Rosansky noted “Joe is very deserving of this honor. He is a tireless volunteer and has definitely made a difference in the 10 plus years he has been part of the Newport Beach community. Whatever he starts, he finishes and he is always all in!”
Stapleton will be honored formally at the Newport Chamber Honors event to be hosted at a future date. This event will also recognize the Newport Beach Business Person of the Year.
The Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce is a business organization of almost 700 members. The Chamber, with its councils, committees, staff and valuable members, works with city officials, local businesses and the community at large to promote the local economy.
About the Award
The Newport Beach Citizen of the Year award is presented to an individual in the community who is respected and admired among friends, neighbors and colleagues for his or her work and dedication in bettering the community.
- The Newport Beach Citizen of the Year Award is presented to that individual who best represents the qualities each of us admire and respect among our friends, neighbors and associates. It’s not given so much for achievement, as it is for helping others achieve.
- It is not given for outstanding single effort, as much as for long term, continuing commitment to the community. It’s not given for position, public or private, as it is for “being there” when there is a service called for.
- It’s for the one who says, “Sure—I’ll help—what do we need to do?” And then follows through—one who says, “Newport Beach is my home, and its future and mine are the same. I will do whatever I can do to make it better.
About Joe Stapleton
Joe’s current and past involvement in the community of Newport Beach is quite extensive.
Currently, he serves as a member of the Finance Committee for the City of Newport Beach and is Chairman of the Board of the Newport Beach Foundation. He also serves on more than a dozen boards of directors for community and civic organizations including The Pacific Club, New Majority Orange County, Newport Beach & Company, Literacy Project, Speak Up Newport, OC Cats (University of Arizona Alumni Association), The Pacific Arts Foundation, Corona del Mar Residence Association, Lott Trophy and International Executive Council. He is also on the Executive Board of the Commodores Club of the Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce.
Other past service includes:
- Harbor Commissioner – City of Newport Beach 2013-2017
- Charter Update Committee Member – City of Newport Beach 2012
- Newport Beach Chamber of Commerce – Board of Directors – Chairman of the Board (Past)
- Leadership Tomorrow – Board Member
- The Elite OC, Young Professionals Society – Founder
- OC Marathon – Board
- Fire Ops 101 – Newport Beach – Graduate
- Citizen Police Academy – Newport Beach Graduate
- 40 Under 40 – OC Metro 2014
- 2019 NB & Company Dennis O’Neil Partner in Progress Award Winner
As President and Co-Founder of Spinnaker Investment Group, Joseph Stapleton oversees the firm’s client relationships while advising businesses and individuals on customized wealth and investment management, life insurance, group benefits and executive compensation solutions. His top priority is assisting clients to achieve what is most important to them by bringing their goals and desires in line with their financial resources.
He holds a Bachelors of Science in Business Finance and Entrepreneurship from the University of Arizona. He currently lives in Newport Beach with his wife, Sarah.
Past Recipients of the Citizen of the Year Award
John and Elizabeth Stahr
Jack and Nancy Skinner
Norm Loats, Ed.D.
Thomas C. Edwards
Clarence “Bus” Turner
Rush N. Hill, II
William D. Lusk
J. Peter Barrett
William P. Ficker
T. Duncan Stewart
Richard “Dick” Stevens
A. Vincent Jorgenson
Judge Robert Gardner Walter Longmoor
Dr. Basil H. Peterson
Paul A. Palmer
David Nielsen, M.D.
William “Bill” Spurgeon
J.L. “Les” Steffensen • James “Jim” Edwards
Edward Milum, M.D.
Joseph A. Beek
Dora O. Hill
O.W. “Dick” Richards
Robert “Bob” Murphy